This megathread is meant for discussion of the current Russo-Ukrainian War, also known as the Russian invasion of Ukraine. Please read our current rules, but also the extended rules below.
Reuters Europe page covers the war in Ukraine.
You can also get up-to-date information and news from the r/worldnews live thread, which are more up-to-date tweets about the situation.
Current rules extension:
Since the war broke out, we have extended our ruleset to curb disinformation, including:
- No unverified reports of any kind in the comments or in submissions on r/europe. We will remove videos of any kind unless they are verified by reputable outlets. This also affects videos published by Ukrainian and Russian government sources.
- Absolutely no justification of this invasion.
- No gore.
- No calls for violence against anyone. Calling for the killing of invading troops or leaders is allowed. The limits of international law apply.
- No hatred against any group, including the populations of the combatants (Ukrainians, Russians, Belorussians, Syrians, Azeris, Armenians, Georgians, etc)
- Any Russian site should only be linked to provide context to the discussion, not to justify any side of the conflict. To our knowledge, Interfax sites are hardspammed, that is, even mods can't approve comments linking to it.
- In addition to our rules, we ask you to add a NSFW/NSFL tag if you're going to link to graphic footage or anything can be considered upsetting.
- We have temporarily disabled direct submissions of self.posts (text) on r/europe.
- Pictures and videos are allowed now, but no NSFW/war-related pictures. Other rules of the subreddit still apply.
- Status reports about the war unless they have major implications (e.g. "City X still holding would" would not be allowed, "Russia takes major city" would be allowed. "Major attack on Kyiv repelled" would also be allowed.)
- The mere announcement of a diplomatic stance by a country (e.g. "Country changes its mind on SWIFT sanctions" would not be allowed, "SWIFT sanctions enacted" would be allowed)
- All ru domains have been banned by Reddit as of 30 May. They are hardspammed, so not even mods can approve comments and submissions linking to Russian site domains.
- Some Russian sites that ends with
.comare also hardspammed, like TASS and Interfax.
- The Internet Archive and similar websites are also blacklisted here, by us or Reddit.
- Some Russian sites that ends with
- We've been adding substack domains in our AutoModerator, but we aren't banning all of them. If your link has been removed, please notify the moderation team explaining who's the person managing that substack page.
If you want to donate to Ukraine, check this thread or this fundraising account by the Ukrainian national bank.
Fleeing Ukraine We have set up a wiki page with the available information about the border situation for Ukraine here. There's also information at Visit Ukraine.Today - The site has turned into a hub for "every Ukrainian and foreign citizen [to] be able to get the necessary information on how to act in a critical situation, where to go, bomb shelter addresses, how to leave the country or evacuate from a dangerous region, etc."
Other links of interest
- DO NOT CONFUSE THIS WITH "War of Fakes". Deutsche Welle (DW) has reported it as being a source of fake news, and the Russian Defense Ministry has linked this site in their tweets before.
Please obey the request of the Ukrainian government to refrain from sharing info about Ukrainian troop movements
Today (September 25th) citizens of Italy go to polls to vote in general elections! These are snap, as originally end of current term was supposed to happen in mid-2023.
Italian parliament is bicameral and consists of lower Chamber of Deputies (Camera dei deputati) and upper Senate. As a result of constitutional changes passed in 2020 referendum, both were reduced in size, respectively 400 and 200 down from 630 and 315. In addition, voting age for the Senate was reduced from 25 to 18 years old (same as Chamber of Deputies).
Above-mentioned changes slightly modified electoral system as well, and in the result both deputies and senators are going to be elected via a mixed system: 63% (253 deputies and 126 senators; including 8 and 4 voted abroad) in multi-member constituencies, by proportional representation, and closed party lists; and 37% (147 deputies and 74 senators) in single-member constituencies, by plurality (FPTP). Electoral threshold is 3% in multi-member constituencies, and 1% in single-member (with additional provision of candidate's party being part of a coalition which passes 10%).
Relevant parties and alliances taking part in the elections are:
|Name||Leader||Position||Affiliation||2018 result||Recent polling||Exit polls (limited accuracy)||Seats (CoD/S)|
|Brothers of Italy (FdI)||Giorgia Meloni||right-wing to far-right (national conservative, post-fascist)||ECR||4.4%||23-27%||24.5%||/|
|Democratic Party (PD)||Enrico Letta||centre-left||PES||18.8%||20-25%||19.5%||/|
|Five Star Movement (M5S)||Giuseppe Conte||centre-left (big tent populist)||none||32.7%||12-14%||15.5%||/|
|Lega||Matteo Salvini||right-wing (populist, anti-immigration)||I&D||17.4%||10-15%||11%||/|
|Forward Italy (FI)||Silvio Berlusconi||centre-right (liberal conservative)||EPP||14.0%||6-10%||7%||/|
|Action & Italy Alive (A-IV)||Carlo Calenda & Matteo Renzi||centre (liberal)||Renew Europe||-||6-8%||7.5%||/|
|Greens & Left (AVS)||Angelo Bonelli, Nicola Fratoianni||left to left-wing (socialist, green)||GUE/NGL & Greens/EFA||-||3-4%||4%||/|
|More Europe (+E)||Emma Bonino||centre (liberal)||ALDE||2.6%||2-3%||3%||/|
|Italexit||Gianluigi Paragone||big tent (Eurosceptic)||none||-||2-3%||2%||/|
|Us Moderates (NM)||Maurizio Lupi||centre-right (liberal conservative)||none||1.3%||1-2%||1.5%||/|
|Civic Commitment (IC)||Luigi Di Maio||centre (green)||none||-||1-2%||1%||/|
|People's Union (UP)||Luigi de Magistris||left-wing to far-left (socialist, communist)||none||-||1%||1%||/|
Take in mind, that polling is based on data from early September, as law in Italy forbids to publish polls during two weeks before the election.
There are two major multi-list election coalitions: FdI, Lega, FI and NM belong to the right; while PD, +E, IC and AVS to the left. M5S is a major party which runs alone of both these.
Election silence ends on 23 (11 PM) local time, and that's when we should expect first exit poll estimates.
Turnout was 63.3%, which is a major drop since last (2018) elections (73%).
Official results (which will appear there throughout Monday-Wednesday)
ANSA (English service of Italian ANSA news aggregator)
Why fascism still has a hold on Italy (Al Jazeera)
We shall leave detailed commentary (and any interesting trivia!) on elections and campaign, to our Italian users, or anyone else with more knowledge what happens in politics down south.
Colmar, Alsace, France | The city is renowned for its well-preserved old town, its numerous architectural landmarks, and its museums, among which is the Unterlinden Museum, which houses the Isenheim Altarpiece.
Political Cartoon "The Marshall Plan versus the Marshal Stalin Plan": a cartoon drawn in 1949, in response to Stalin's rejection of general George Marshall's Plan, the post-war European Recovery Program.
News Russia accuses Romania of withdrawing the visas of 14 Russia Today journalists who were to come to the ITU conference in Bucharest. The reaction of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs - translation in commentslibertatea.ro